Friday, November 23, 2012

22nd November Edinburgh


Today I had another appointment at the chiropractor but first we were waiting for the new sofa to arrive. The delivery truck arrived and in the wind and rain the delivery guys managed to get them inside the conservatory. They are really lovely. The double seat sofa is a plain brown fabric and the single seat has a patterned cover and they look great together. We headed up to the shops to have a look for cups to put under the sofa legs and went for a wander through the 'pound shops'. The pound shops are like our $2 shops but they have different things to what we have at home so I love going up and down the aisles...and I have made a few purchases! Today I saw some small bottles and some cans of 
Irn-Bru...the other national drink of Scotland after whisky...and Brenton's favourite, so I took some photos. Late this afternoon we headed into Edinburgh for my chiropractor appointment. He was keen to know how I was getting on and I was pleased to report that although I was sore after his manipulations on Tuesday, the headache at least was gone. My neck and lower back were still sore...so he used his magic fingers...seriously, I wanted to put him in my suitcase and bring him home!...and he cracked my neck again and did a few other things. He thinks I should be OK now till I get home...but I'm going to try and be a little more careful just in case! On the way home we stopped at the Fish and Chip shop and I got a "Haggis Supper" for dinner....yum!!!!! Aunty Martie asked me if I wanted salt 'n' sauce with it...what the??? was my reply. It's salt and sauce, but its a vinegar tasting brown sauce, not BBQ sauce, so I said no and waited till we got home to put on my own salt and HP brown sauce. The Haggis I had tonight  was deep fried in batter and was served with chips. Haggis traditionally is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs) minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock and traditionally encased in the animals stomach and then simmered for approximately three hours. Most modern commercial haggis is now prepared in a sausage casing rather than the actual stomach. Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish and is considered the national dish of Scotland as a result of Robert Burns' poem 'Adress to a Haggis'. It is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties" (turnip and potato), boiled and mashed seperately and a dram (glass of Scotch whisky). I quite like it and I have fond memories of "Haggis Supper" from our trip here in 2001 when Brenton and I would always order it. 
Tonight I am going to confess my new addiction to UK television. Yep...its happened! At home I would never watch any of these shows and I'm pretty sure I have never watched an episode of them...but here I am...maybe its the Scottish air...but I am starting to look forward to tomorrow nights show to see what happens next. At home I enjoy the UK shows where they buy and sell houses etc...but I'm talking about Emmerdale, Coronation Street and East Enders...and even 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here'. LOL! When I get home I feel  I'm going to pay more attention to the UK channel than I have previously!




1 comment:

  1. Brown sauce & UKTV my favourites !!!! i never miss my daily dose of Eastenders....(it's on series link) :))) but you would be ahead over there !!! haven't had an IRNBRU in years !!!! love Scotland x

    ReplyDelete