Wednesday, November 21, 2012

15th November Hampton Court Palace, Harrods, Matilda the Musical


Another late morning :( I have to keep reminding myself that I am in fact on HOLIDAY and that it's OK to have 'some' slow starts! So after finally getting myself organised I decided to seize the day and head to Hampton Court Palace. During the Tudor period, this palace was the scene of many historic events. Hampton Court Palace was originally built for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII, but as Wolsey fell from favour, the palace passed to the King, who enlarged it. The first place I visited were the Tudor Kitchens which were built to feed the Court of Henry VIII and they were designed to feed up to 600 people twice a day. It was a massive operation and these kitchens are sometimes still used today. Then I went to look at the chapel which is not only decorated in an outstandingly rich and colourful way it is layered with so much history. In 1540 Archbishop Crammer handed Henry VIII a letter in this chapel which outlined accusations against Henry's new wife Catherine Howard. She was accused of unchaste behaviour before her marriage and was then confined to her room for a few days before being sent to Syon House and then onto the Tower of London. She was executed at the Tower of London soon afterwards. Legend claims that she escaped her guards and ran through the Haunted Gallery at Hampton Court to beg Henry for her life but she was recaptured. They say her ghost haunts this place now. Next I headed upstairs to Henry VIII's apartments. The first room I went into was the Great Hall where the court ate the meals that had been cooked in the kitchens, interestingly Henry rarely ate here.  The room is spanned by a large and sumptuously decorated hammer-beam roof and its walls are hung with Henry VIII's most splendid tapestries. Henry's much desired male heir the future Edward VI was born at Hampton Court and his mother Jane Seymour died there two weeks later. Displayed in the Royal Pew is a recreation of Henry VIII's crown. It was worn by Henry on the feast of the Epiphany when he would process into the royal chapel in full regalia to offer gold, frankincense and myrrh, celebrating the visit of the three kings to the newborn Jesus. The crown was then used at the coronations of each of Henry VIII's children. It was quite spectacular! I then went and looked through King William III and Queen Mary II's apartments before heading out to take a look at the gardens. It was a quick visit to the gardens as the weather was getting quite cold. The gardens are well maintained and very lovely! It was then time to head back to London.
I went straight to Harrods for a quick visit to see their windows decorated for christmas. This year their windows feature Disney Princesses in designer gowns. Sleeping Beauty is wearing Elie Saab, Pocahontas is wearing Roberto Cavalli and Cinderella is in Versace. Ralph and Russo did the gown worn by the Princess who kissed the frog and it really is a lovely window. I had a very quick look through the food hall and grabbed some sushi and a Portuguese tart for dinner...I have to come back to Harrods to have a better look...and maybe buy a christmas decoration or two!
I then went back to my apartment and got ready to go and see Matilda the Musical. This has had such good reviews I was really keen to see this in London...and it was FANTASTIC! It is based on Roald Dahl's book Matilda and while as a musical there were no show stopping tunes that gave you goosebumps the music and lyrics were perfect for this musical. What I found most impressive about this musical was the talent of the children performing, they were outstanding. Most of the show is the children...the adults in the show really are the support act. I found myself laughing throughout the whole show..it really was brilliant, I hope it eventually makes it to Australia!

















No comments:

Post a Comment