Tuesday, October 30, 2012

26th October Venice

This morning we took a taxi across to Venice and we were given some free time until 1.40pm.  I had wanted to go to the Gugenheim Museum, so after some brief instructions and a map in my hand I set off by myself to find it. It really was not that hard as Venice is well sign posted despite the maze of streets, and I am not 'directonally challenged' either. The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is a modern art museum which displays what once was the private art collection of Peggy Guggenheim. It is located at the Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, and 18th century palace on the Grand Canal. Peggy Guggenheim collected artworks mostly between 1938 and 1946. It was Peggy Guggenheim who discovered the talent of Jackson Pollock, and a few of his pieces were on display including 'Alchemy'. Some of the other art and artists on display include De Chirico's 'The Red Tower', Picasso's 'On the Beach', Dali's 'Birth of Liquid Desires' and Kadinsky's 'White Cross'. The museum also exhibits work by Peggy's ex-husband Max Ernst as well as her daughter Pegeen Vail Guggenheim. Modern art is not what I love, but I can appreciate it, I do prefer the impressionists. 
After visiting Guggenheim I thought I would quickly go up to see the Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute since it was close by. In October 1630, the Venetian Senate decreed that if the city was delivered from the currently raging plague that had killed about a third of Venice's population, then a new church would be built and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The church is full of Marian symbolism - the great dome represents her crown, the cavernous interior her womb and the eight sides are the eight points on her symbolic star. The Barogue high altar has a Byzantine 'Madonna and Child' from the 12th or 13th century which was brought from Crete. It was quite dark inside but very beautiful. After taking a few pics outside I decided to head back over to the other island and go to the Rialto Bridge. I had no trouble finding my way again and actually enjoyed getting 'lost' in the streets and finding my way to where I was going. The Rialto Bridge is a stone single span bridge designed by Antonio da Ponte and completed in 1591. It replaced a wooden bridge and connected San Marco with San Polo. I then headed back to St Mark's Square to marvel at the Basilica and the Doge's Palace, but I didn't get to look inside. I thought I would leave those until next year when I go back there with Lou. I bumped into a couple of the other girls and had my first Italian gelato, chocolate of course...it was delicious. We then headed back to the taxi to head over to Burano for lunch. Burano is known for its small, brightly-painted houses, popular with artists. The colours of the houses follow a specific system originating from the age of its development, so if someone wants to paint their house, they have to send a request to the government, who respond by letting you know what colours are permitted for that lot. We had a magnificent lunch which never seemed to end, course after course after course! No dinner for us tonight!!!















1 comment:

  1. The architecture is so beautiful and I love the colourful houses! And now, I have a craving for chocolate gelato :)

    ReplyDelete